Sunday, July 27, 2008

Our 24th of July Weekend

We had such a fun weekend I had to share it with all of you. On Thursday the 24th JR's family brought dinner over to our house where we ate and relaxed for the evening. The food was great and I had my first corn on the cob of the season. Yummy! Later in the evening after JR's family left I wanted to go see fireworks but JR didn't want to (I know, party pooper :D). So, I took Cali and we went and checked out Spanish Fork's firework show. It was really good and there were so many people there! It was a lot of fun doing something with just Cali and myself. I think I need to do more things just the two of us girls.

On Friday we headed up to Salt Lake to my parents home to help my sisters get things ready for a surprise party for my mom. She turned 60 last month, but we waited a little while before we threw her a party because of schedule conflicts, and because we really wanted to catch her by surprise. It turned out great!. She was so surprised and it was fun getting together with family and friends to show are love for her. Plus, we had the best cake and mint brownies (mmmmm :) that we ordered from Schmidt's pastry. I still have leftovers. They're the best!

On Saturday evening we got together with JR's family again. JR's dad took all the boys to a baseball game with his ward. So, the kids and I had fun hanging out with JR's mom and sisters. Cali sure loves spending time with them. And, any night I don't have to cook is a plus :D.

To top the weekend off we had a great Sabbath day today. Well, a great spiritual growth day I guess you could say. I got set apart as the 1st counselor in my wards primary presidency. I've never had a major calling like this before, so it'll definitely require much more from me, but I know I'll grow from it and I'm actually looking forward to stretching and serving more. Plus, I get to work with JR, since he's still the senior primary chorister. He's been so sweet and supportive with my new calling. I guess time will tell how things go, but so far I'm excited. The ladies I get to work with are amazing, so if nothing else we'll have a great time together :). Receiving this calling confirms even more to me how much Heavenly Father knows us individually and how he gives us opportunities to grow and become better. When I got called in to see the bishop, one of his counselors asked me if I was ready to receive more blessings. I knew I was in for something big (well, big for me :), but I really liked how he put what he said. I was in a position of ease and comfort with my life and I'm actually looking forward to serving more because I know that I'll be greatly blessed because of it. I just feel humbled knowing that Heavenly Father hasn't given up on me and still wants me to become all that he knows I can be with his help. Like I said, it's a humbling feeling.

So, there's my great weekend! I'm sure you're all wondering where the pictures of my adventures are, but apparently I forgot I had a camera this weekend. Sorry! I hope you all had awesome weekends as well and hopefully I'll get to read about it on your blogs :).

5 comments:

JR said...

You're so cute when you write. All your little emoticons and exclamations... makes it easy to see how you would actually be saying it to me if we were talking.

I'm glad you feel supported in your calling. You're just the right one for the job, and you're going to do great. Now I'll actually have to start preparing more since I know that you'll be checking in on me. I better get started.

Stina said...

Hey Kristen! We were surprised about the change in Primary, and when I heard your name I knew you were the right fit! I'm excited for you! And, you will be serving with such fun people (including yourself). You'll do great!

Haylee said...

Hi Kristen. I am so excited that you will be in primary now, it will be so fun to see you! I asked Cali in class if she was excited and she said " YES YES YES". haha she is so funny.

Jessica Durham said...

Congrats on your new calling--It sounds like such an awesome opportunity. I know I don't comment on here all that much, but I enjoy your blog posts very much. :)

Jenny said...

You'll do great in the new calling! You'll take after your mom!