Monday, July 14, 2008

Decorating Letters Using Mod Podge



I had so much fun decorating Cali's name letters and picture frame that I thought I'd share how I did it. I love to do crafts but I'm not that talented, so this was a great craft for me because it was really easy and something that anyone can do.

I started out with unfinished wooden letters and a picture frame. Then I sanded and spray painted them and let them dry for a day or so.

I went to Roberts Craft and found some cute scrap booking paper, stickers, ribbon and other items that I thought might be cute to decorate the letters with.


I decided what paper I wanted on which letters and then I cut out the paper so that it was flush with the edge of the front of the letters. I just turned the letters over and traced onto the paper. Just be careful to not mark up the letters with the pencil or pen you use to trace with.


I decorated my picture frame first because I wanted something to practice on that I didn't care about as much. It was good practice for me before I went on to the letters, and the letters turned out much better because of it.


After I had cut out all the paper I got my mod podge and poured some into a bowl. I got a sponge brush and used that to apply the mod podge. I put mod podge onto the part of the frame where I was going to put a specific piece of paper. Then I layed the paper onto the frame and smoothed it out really well to make sure every part was glued to the frame. Then I went on to the next piece of paper and did each one at a time to make sure they were all glued down really well.

After all the paper was glued down to the frame I put another layer of mod podge over the whole front of the frame to seal everything, making sure not to leave any bubbles.

I did that to all the letters after I finished the frame and I let them dry overnight. I wanted to hang my letters on the wall, so after the letters were completely dry I tacked metal hangers onto the back of each letter. Then I hot-glued ribbon and other decorations to the front of the letters.


I wanted ribbon on my letters, so I looped the ribbon through the metal hangers and made bows.

After I decided where to position each letter on the wall, I hammered one nail to hang it up on the metal hanger and I put another nail to hang the ribbon up on. Then I was done!





It was such a fun project and now Cali has letters that spell her name that are unique just for her. The matching picture frame was lots of fun too. It ties her room together and I though it was a cute addition. I hope this was helpful for any of you who would like to try this project. If you have any questions, just let me know. Have fun being crafty!

7 comments:

Stina said...

I love love love it. You did such a great job! Next time I'm itching for a project--this is one I want to do!! I even have a brand new bottle of modge podge waiting to be used!!

Alison said...

I know where to come when I need help with a project. Those letters turned out so cute. Thanks for sharing how to do it.

Wilde Family said...

Wowsers, talk about crafty. You ought to start up a new blog just to show the rest of us how to do more fun stuff like this. I'm dying to do more crafts. I love how cute these turned out. I think I even have some mod podge somewhere... maybe I'll have to try it.

The Winwards said...

I did wall letters too, they are a lot of fun. I finished doing Tanna's then Tayton decided he wanted them. I love them, you did a great job. And by the way I just love the name Cali:)

Jaimee said...

I love those letters! I've been wanting to do something like that. Did you buy the wooden letters at a craft store?

Jenny said...

Great job! I am impressed! Thanks for the instruction although I was just hoping YOU would do it for me! Want to make Hayley one? You're so good at it. You know you want to!

By the way - Cali's room looks great!

Heidi said...

Those letters are SO cute! :) Good job. I feel inspired to get crafty. Now if I only had a home big enough for all the stuff I'd make. lol