Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mothers Day Mean Moms :-)

So, my daughter Cali informed me last night, for the first time ever, that I was a "mean mommy". The first time she said it I thought that's what she had said, but I made her repeat herself just to make sure. She made sure I heard it the second time, enunciating every word. "You are a mean mom." I was making her pick up the blocks that she had thrown all around the room, and she wanted me to know how she felt about it. As hurt as I should have felt that my beautiful daughter now thought I was mean, it made me laugh. "Thank goodness I'm mean," I thought, "or you'd never learn anything!"

As I pondered this poignant moment in my life I thought it was very appropriate to give thanks for all the mean moms out there that help their children learn that certain choices carry certain consequences. Now, maybe I could have made Cali pick up her blocks in a nicer way (like my own mom probably would have :-), but hopefully I'll instill in her something greater in those small teaching moments. Happy Mothers Day all you mean moms, from a newly inducted member of the club :-).

P.S. So, I asked Cali today if I was still a mean mom and she said, "Not now." She just had to leave room open for later. What a stinker! :-D

6 comments:

JR said...

It's about time! j/k
Thanks for being such a great mom to our beautiful children.

Jenny said...

Cute! Well, not "cute" but you know what I mean. Didn't you know, when your kids say you're a mean mom that really means that you are a good mom. Because like you said, you are teaching them what's right. You just keep being mean!

Angelica and Bryan said...

Happy Mothers Day Kris!

Even though I'm not a mom I look forward to the day that I'll be called a mean mom for that same reason!

The Hamlin Family said...

Kristen,
I got your email with your blog link and read about everything you've been going through. I am so sorry to hear about the hard times you have had the last few months. The only advice that I have would be to DEFINITELY get a second (or third, or fourth) opinion. It's always good to know what other doctor's are thinking. Anyways, you and your little family are in our thoughts and prayers!!!

-Erin Hamlin
PS...Your kids are so cute!!!

Melissa said...

Hayley only called me "MEANIE" once. I cried. Which led her to tears. That was just a few months ago. SO I guess I am pretty new at this too.. Happy Mom's Day everyone!

nicole said...

You made her pick up her OWN blocks? Wow, you are a meanie! At the rate Cali's moving, you'll be in the "I don't want you to live in this house anymore" club in no time :D

You really need to start a new blog dedicated to Cali's random outbursts. That would be funny :)

I hope you had a great mothers day...Cali and Isaac are so blessed to have you for their mommy :)
XOXO