Friday, May 9, 2008

Calling All Opinions!

For those of you who have been anxiously awaiting :-) more news about my surgery, cancer, and recovery here it is. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, let me quickly recap (you can also check out my blogs from January '08 to get more info). In January I had surgery to remove a lump I had behind my left ear. From the surgery biopsy they discovered that it was cancer, but luckily they thought they got it all and the diagnosis was good (for cancer anyways). I was going to look into other possible options as soon as my facial nerve healed (the tumor was attached to my facial nerve and it got irritated when the doctors removed my tumor, resulting in the limited use of the left side of my face for about two months).

So, now that my face is basically back to normal (well, as normal as it can get :-D) I went to go see a radiologist to get his opinion on what I should do. My ENT doctor that did my surgery suggested just waiting to see if anything grows back, but he also suggested getting more info from a radiologists perspective. So that's what I did two weeks ago. To my complete frustration the radiologist recommended radiation. He said that my tumor was classified as intermediate-grade because 90% of the tumor was low-grade (no worries) but 10% of it was high-grade (lots of worries). If all of my tumor had been low-grade the radiologist would have recommended doing nothing, but because of that high-grade 10% he recommended radiation because the high-grade tumors are much more aggressive and are more apt to grow and spread. The other reason why he recommended radiation was because the margins around my tumor were really close. That means their was healthy tissue removed that was between me and the cancer (which is a very good thing), but it was really really close (.25 millimeters). So, the question remains is that too close, or did the doctor really get it all. My radiologist doesn't feel comfortable with how close my margins were, hence the radiation suggestion.

From what the radiologist told me, the only permanent side effects I would have from the radiation is a lack of saliva production on the left side of my mouth and a lack of sweat production behind my left ear because the radiation would basically destroy my sweat and saliva glands on that side. Putting it plainly, I would have some dry skin behind my ear and a dryer mouth that would just require drinking more water. I didn't think that seemed too bad. There are more short term side effects, though. The radiation would have to be done every day, Monday through Friday, for six weeks. I would feel tired, have mouth pain and possibly sores that would make it hard to eat (although I could lose weight ;-), my teeth could become damaged, my mouth would be dry and it might be hard to talk (hello! that's the worst thing ever for me! :-), and most likely I could lose some hair that was in the path of the radiation. Overall, though, my real worries aren't those as much as they are the rare side effects that COULD happen. I'm totally worried about the 'what-ifs', like damage to my inner ear (which my doctor said wouldn't happen, but a pamphlet I read said that it could happen, but very rarely does) and who knows what else could happen to me long term from the effects of radiation. If my only long term worries were lack of spit and dry skin I could handle that. I just don't want to fall into the 'rare' group that has to live with awful side effects for the rest of my life. I thought when I turned 27 this year that I was really old. But, considering the life I still have ahead of me I'm not old at all. I have so much to live for and I don't want side effects from radiation to affect my quality of life for the next who knows how many years. But, then again, I don't want the cancer to come back and have to have surgery again, or worse.

The overarching 'what-ifs' that are the hardest for me to deal with right now are: What if the doctor got all the cancer and I don't have anything to worry about? What if I do radiation unnecessarily and end up with side effects for the rest of my life? What if the cancer comes back and I have to have surgery again and possibly loose my facial nerve? What if I wait it out for now and the cancer comes back and spreads to my lymph nodes? What if I don't take the necessary precautions and this becomes a life or death situation??? I know that life is full of what-ifs and if we had all the answers agency wouldn't be necessary and there would be no point to this life. It's just hard having to make these kinds of decisions not knowing exactly what the outcome will be. I guess that's where faith comes it. This experience has definitely been a test of faith, but I know in the end I'll be stronger because of it.

Well, after some praying and planning I decided to start radiation a week from Monday, on the 19th. I'm freaking out because I just don't know what to expect as far as side effects go. I talked to a lady from the ward I grew up in who had almost exactly the same cancer that I have and she did radiation too. She told me that it wasn't bad at all and the side effects were totally manageable. But, another lady from my home ward said she had radiation when she was in college and now she has health problems that she believes stem from the radiation, including dizziness from her inner ear. But, you also have to take into consideration the advancement of radiation from thirty years ago until now. After talking to my mom and dad this morning about it, I'm thinking that I'm going to go to another ENT and radiologist up in SL to get a second opinion. I know that sounds like a 'duh', but honestly I've never dealt with anything like this before! Out of probably 150 people in my extended family there has only been one other relative that has had cancer, and she died when I was young. Cancer just doesn't run in my family, so I don't have a lot of experience and resources around me from family that have gone through it before. I am going to make an appointment today with the ENT up in SL, but I most likely won't get in before I'm scheduled to start radiation. So, I'm probably going to postpone that for now, until I get more information. This is all still so new to me. Honestly I'd just like to forget any of this ever happened and be in denial (which is kind of how I was coping with this up until I heard I'd need radiation). I'm dealing with things a day at a time, and it's definitely starting to sink in. It's still a very weird reality, but it's my reality and hopefully I'll learn something from the whole experience and be a better person for it.

SO, after that long speal, here's my request: PLEASE let me know what you think I should do. If you've had experience with cancer, or if you know of someone who went through radiation, or whatever, please let me know what you think. I honestly just don't know that many people who have had experience with this and I need all the help I can get. Or, if you just want to lend your support that would be great too :-). Oh, and just FYI, the type of cancer I have is called Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma (for those technical people out there, like JR :-).

Thanks for listening to all my rantings. It feels good to get all my thoughts down, even if some of them are a little crazy :-). Thanks for all of your help and prayers. I feel so blessed to get to associate with all of you. I look forward to hearing your opinions! Thanks again. I really do feel overwhelmed by all of your thoughts, prayers, love, and encouragement. I love you all!

8 comments:

nicole said...

Kristen, it sounds to me like you've really thought everything through in it's entirety. I would definitely get a second opinion and ask ALL the questions (like inner ear problems, side effects that he's personally seen, etc) that you can think of. I have not doubt that you and JR will make the best decision that's right for you. Let me know what you decide. I love you and you'll continue to be in my prayers. Also, I'd be happy to watch the kidlets while you go in for your Dr appt.

Mr. Winfree said...

Kristen,

You're right, it does sound scary, and I was trying to think what I would do in your shoes. I think I would get the 2nd opinion. But I think I would probably get the radiation. The side effects seem minor compared to having to deal with cancer again, with the possibility of it spreading. I don't think the radiation will be fun. People I've known who have had radiation do not feel well at all and are really tired, but perhaps it depends on how much they give you. I really don't know much about this, but I do want you to know that you're in my thoughts and prayers and I hope the best for you. I love you!
Paula

Jenny said...

I don't envy your position. What a tough decision. The best I can say is that if it were me, I would do the radiation. The side effects are minor and extremely rare. I'm sure you don't want to risk the cancer coming back and having to lose your whole facial nerve.

Keep in mind that Sally just did the radiation a few years ago (as opposed to the person who did it 30 years ago) so I would trust that her experiences with it will be closer to what you will go through.

I would definitely recommend a second opinion if you can get one. Maybe if you explain your situation to the receptionist when you call for an appointment then they might be able to squeeze you in sooner.

However, if you feel completely comfortable in your current doctor and his decisions, then trust it. I think it is pretty powerful that the doctor told you, "If it was my daughter, I'd tell her to do the radiation." That tells you that he would be willing to do it on his own daughter - someone he knows and loves.

It's a crappy situation and you probably aren't going to feel good about any decision because if you had it your way you wouldn't even be facing this. Your decision would be NO CANCER! Unfortunately, you are facing this monster.

My ultimate best advice would be to take it to the temple. Pray about it with JR and do some fasting. If you take it to the temple then I am positive you will get a peaceful feeling about the choices you should make.

Hang in there - I'm here for you! You've been in my thoughts and prayers. Love you!

Angel Dawn said...

Kristen, I am definitely all for getting second opinion, preferably before you begin treatment. But from what I've read radiation is most likely the way to go. Like you there is hardly any cancer in my family. All I can say is pray, go to the temple and go with how you are prompted.

The Winwards said...

Kristen,

Good luck, I have no idea what I would do in your situation. I hope the best for you and I am thinking about you and your cute family. Let me know how things go and tell your family hi from me. Happy Mothers Day, you are a cute mom.

Kali

Annika said...

Kristen, you've been in my thoughts daily - I've been so concerned about you. What a hard decision! I'm glad you're not rushing in to get radiation. I'm not saying that's not the right choice for you but I definitely think you should hold off until you get a 2nd opinion (and get that soon!). I recently talked with Adam's wife, Rachel, about someone she knows who went through either radiation or chemotherapy (I can't remember!). I know they are different but both have some similar effects. Anyway, this person did some things that really helped with the fatigue and other undesirable side-effects. I'm sending Rachel your email address and she's going to forward it to her friend who can reach you directly. Maybe she could be of some help to you in making your decision. I hope it helps. Know we are all praying for you and have you in our daily thoughts. Love you! Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

Ashley Bennion said...

Kristen - This is Ashley Nebel Bennion :) I found your blog through Krista and Jenny's. I just wanted you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers - Good Luck with everything - You will feel that peace and know what Heavenly Father would have you do. Love - Ash http://bennybfamily.blogspot.com/

Melissa said...

Kris,
I am sorry for your stress and anxiety over this. Mariah has a large lump we have been watching for 5 weeks. We have had a CT scan which shows it to be one large lymphnode (about an inch in diameter with 3 others a little smaller attached to it) It has been a very scary and very emotional month. We have a follow up with her Oncologist at Primary's in 2 weeks. It just seems so far out. I can tell you more about that later though.
What I know since I have racked my brain in extreme amounts:
My dear friend lost her brother to a very rare form of cancer. She said it took a couple of years to even diagnose what his problem was. They can't help but wonder if it would have only been caught sooner if the outcome might have been different. At the same time, this man's little 4 year old was diagnosed with cancer. A large lump was discovered on his kidney when his tummy was felt during his well child visit to the Dr's office. From there he was sent directly to Primary's where it was removed and tested posotive for cancer. Together father & son were treated with radiation and I believe chemo too. Although sadly and tragically my friend lost her brother, his son survived. When they did the surgery on this little boy, they were sure that they got it all, but she said it was possible that tiny microscopic cells that carried this cancer could have been running through his blood. So that is why the radiation was decided. Basically, no signs of cancer were left, radiation was all done as a precaution. That was 4 years ago. He is healthy and well. Cancer free.

Another person I know is a teacher at Hayley's school. She overheard me talking about Riah and was interested. I then learned it was because she is a lymphoma survivor. After her surgery she did 6 months of radiation every day and is completely fine. That was 7 years ago.
I am probably an extreme to ask at this point, but my vote is #1 It NEVER hurts to get a 2nd opinion, I have gotten 3 Oncologists opinions in Mariah's case, plus the radiologist and her pediatrician and a surgeon.
#2 If there is something that could pretty much wipe out any chance of recurrance, take it. The best advice that has been given to me so far has been that from my same dear friend. She has told me that I have to be able to live with the decisions I am making for Mariah. Could I live with the choice to wait on the surgery, if it was worst case, a lymphoma? Or could I live with putting her through a possible unnecessary surgery if it turns out to be nothing. My choice is to do the surgery, however they all feel comfortable in waiting a hoping it will go down in a few more weeks. Because there are no other symptoms she has to lead them to believe it is the worst case. I want the surgery in 2 weeks if it is still there. I could never cope with the thought I've sat by any longer. I'm not even sure I'll make it another 2 weeks. So I in a smaller way understand the emotions you are feeling and I am so sorry about that. I hope I haven't skipped around too much. I'll be thinking of you and praying for you. Please keep me posted.