Tuesday, March 24, 2009

My New Adventure

I posted not to long ago and mentioned reasons why I haven't posted a lot lately. I didn't mention one of my big distractions because didn't want to jinx myself and say anything before things were official. Well, now it's official - I'm going to go back to school :). I've decided to become an aesthetician. For those of you who don't know what that is, I'll basically be learning how to do all the fun things they do in spas. It's more than that, but that gives you an idea :). I've always been interested in this industry and now I'm going to get to be apart of it! I got accepted into an aesthetics school in Provo called Acaydia. It's a really really good school and I'm so excited and feel very lucky to be able to go there. I'll be getting my master aesthetics degree and it'll take me about 16 months part time. I'll be going to school everyday, M-F from 5 to 9 p.m. It'll take a lot of my time but I know it'll be so good for me and my family in the long run. JR's been so supportive of my decision. He's so excited for me and I know I couldn't do this without his help. I'll be done before I know it and then I'll have a really cool skill set that I can use in a Spa, in a Doctor's office, or even out of my home. I'm so excited by the possibilities! The crazy part is that I start school in two weeks...TWO WEEKS! It's been a while since I went to college, so hopefully I can still remember how to take a test!

Aside from the obvious extra income reason, there are so many other reasons -more important reasons -why I decided to do this. For the past couple of years I've struggled and had to work really hard to change my mind set of what a wife and mother does. It's amazing how difficult it is to break the mold that society and I created for myself, but I knew I wouldn't be completely happy living my life the way I have been lately if I didn't. I love being home with my kids. It's been such a blessing in my life that I've been able to do that. But I've felt like I need something extra that I can do just for myself that will help me feel more complete and well-rounded. I'm so excited to be able to learn a new skill set that is so diverse and flexible. I'll be able to work around my kids and my family :). I'm so excited about the possibilities that I'm working to create in my life. It's been a truly empowering experience realizing that I can really become anything I set my mind to. I'm excited to start this next phase of my life and prove to myself that I really can do this. It's going to be an exciting adventure! Wish me luck!!!

15 comments:

Sharla said...

Congratulations and good luck! That is fast! That will be fun for you.

Steph said...

Oh how exciting for you! I totally understand the needing something for yourself. You can be a great mom and still have something for you! Going to cosmetology school was the best choice I made for myself! I've been able to have something for me and be able to make some money on the side which is great! I want to get my aesthetician license one day too!
Good luck with school I'll have to come get a service from you!

Nicole said...

Congrats congrats!!! That is SO exciting. It's so important to have 'me' time and to develop yourself. What an awesome opportunity!! Can't wait to hear how it's going!! Good luck.

Also, LOVE Isaac's new do. So so so cute!

*Amy* said...

Good luck! I'm excited for you and I know you will do great!

Stefanie Bell said...

That is so exciting!! I have been thinking about going back to hair school, even though I just got done with interior design school! That will be such a fun adventure, and if you even need to practice on anyone I am for sure in! :)

The Wilson's said...

That is so exciting. I am so the mom that needs to get out of the house and do something for myself. Good luck!!!

Melissa said...

GO FOR IT GIRL! I had a pedicure at a fancy day spa last month and the gal who did it was amazing. I will definately be visiting her again. You will also be good at this because you are so friendly. I'm very happy for you!

Team Korte said...

You go girl! Exciting stuff...good luck with it all!!

Adrienne said...

Yeah! You will do great! I'm like you...I LOVE my family and want to spend time with them but definately need to etch out spots for myself...hence my business. :)

Jenny said...

I'm so proud of you. You'll do great. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

I am really excited for you! I am sure you will do great and love every minute of it.

Tiff said...

Yay! Kristen, congrats!!!! I'm so sorry I've been such a slacker lately!

Alison said...

Good for you. It is so nice to do something for yourself. If you need anyone to practice on I am only a phone call away. Good Luck!

Kirsty said...

Hi,

Good on you. I wish I could get out and do something for myself too. I totally understand the feeling of wondering if being a wife and mother is really enough in today's society. You'll do great
K

The Millette Family said...

congratulations! It's hard to blog with so many other things going on huh! Now you know why my blog has been the same for the last year! :) So excited for you. Way to go! :)