Monday, January 5, 2009

The Best New Year's Eve Ever!!!

Usually New Year's Eve consists of spending a little time with family and/or friends and then heading home, putting the kids to bed, and watching the ball drop on TV. I remember one year JR actually got in bed 15 minutes before midnight. Yeah, he didn't get away with that one - stinker :). This year, though, we actually had some plans! First, we dropped off the kids at JR's parents home to play and spend the night, so JR and I had the night all to ourselves! I love my kids, but it's amazing how nice a night away is!

Then we hit the first of two parties for the night. First we went to a party at our good friends John and Laycie Bowers home. We had great company, amazing food, fun games, and just an overall great time. We don't get to see them as often as we like, so it really was a lot of fun hanging out with them and their friends. We love you guys!

Me, Laycie, Laycie's brother and his date, and Celeste all playing The Game of Life. Too bad we couldn't finish the game before JR and I had to leave. My life was looking pretty good!

Here's John (center) with some friends rocking it out on Rock Band. JR had quite the fun time doing the vocals on this game. If any of you haven't figured it out by now, JR loves to sing :).

After spending a few hours with John and Laycie we went to another party that my good friend Jami Werner invited us to. It was with lots of ward friends and was held at our ward building. It was an 80's theme party, so of course we had to get decked out :). We played rock band, 80's trivia games, we danced, ate food and enjoyed counting down the new year.

Here's JR and I 80'ing it up. JR was Don Johnson from Miami Vice (sexy, I know :), and I was... um, someone from the 80's :). Nothing specific really, I just grabbed anything 80's I could find and threw it on - which btw is NOT that hard now. 80's stuff is EVERYWHERE! Great for my outfit, not so great for 2009. Scary!

What Don Johnson outfit would be complete without Aviator glasses. Thanks Steve for letting JR borrow them! Grrrrr :).

Me posing on the 80's wall. Even though I was little in the 80's, there were still quite a few things up there that I remember using. Ahh, memories. Oh, and if you're totally loving my Chicago sweatshirt (DI is the best!), it got even better on the back. It said "Tour '84". Yeah, it was pretty cool :).

Here's all us 'ladies from the 80's'. I was the youngest one there, but I was still rockin' it up. I just wish I would have had time to crimp my hair :). I am proud to say, though, that even without the crimped hair I still won the "most stylish" award. I guess all that 80's shopping paid off!

Here's JR rocking it out on Rock Band (for the second time that evening) with some of the other 80's men at the party. Love the shoes with no socks :).

And here comes one of the highlights of the night... JR's lip-sync to "Ice Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice. Yeah, he knew the ENTIRE song and did the whole thing - all 4+ minutes of it, complete with his amazing dance moves. It. Was. Awesome! I seriously almost peed my pants it was so funny!

And if that wasn't great enough, our home teacher Jared Warren (who btw is one of the nicest guys and more of the quite type - well, at least he seemed that way to me!) knew the whole song too and was 'the DJ' in the song. Again, IT. WAS. AWESOME!!! And, we found out on Sunday that apparently news of JR's amazing performance has been making the rounds in our ward. Could there be an encore in JR's future?

Here's us women rocking out to "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun". I learned in practicing for this that my moves weren't 80's enough. Oh well, at least my outfit looked good :).


I had to add this picture because, well, it's awesome :). Here's Jason Leckie and Ryan Howell after their moving lip-sync to a Wham! song. Yes, those are official 80's pants that Ryan is sporting. And no, their chest hair is not real, but it sure looked cool :D. Hahaha! Too funny!

Here's us enjoying a nice dance to some wonderful 80's song. Man, 80's music really was the best!

This picture just makes me laugh. Here's JR and I with our good friends Jason and Jami posing it up. Jason and Jami's pose totally looks like it could have been from a dance picture in the 80's. Too funny! Thanks for inviting us Jami! You guys are the best!!!

According to JR, we had the best New Year's Eve EVER! I think I have to agree :). It was nice not having to worry about the kids while we were out late. They had a blast at the Petersons and JR and I had a blast enjoying an evening out with amazing friends. Thank you to everyone who helped make our New Year's Eve the best yet!

HAPPY NEW YEAR'S EVERYONE!!!

P.S. Ok, so I know I've totally written enough already on this post, but I HAD to share this story. I don't know if any of you remember the 80's show Dallas, but there was a main character in the show named JR. Some people think my JR was named after that JR, but he's definitely not. So, JR's whole life he's grown up with people asking him, "So who shot JR?". Apparently that was a huge question in the TV show. So during the 80's trivia game we played I learned who shot JR. It was his girlfriend KRISTEN!!! I about died! You would have thought with all the people asking JR who shot him on Dallas that that would have come up. It was just too funny. So now JR knows he REALLY needs to be nice to me :). Its a good thing we don't own any firearms :D. Hahaha!

10 comments:

JR said...

Just remember, KRISTEN shot JR. There's no insurance money in murder... :D

This really was the best New Year's Eve ever, and I would be totally ungrateful if I didn't thank you for being so great and getting things arranged for us to enjoy such a wonderful evening. You're rad! (couldn't resist - it's the 80s!)

Erin and Chad said...

Sounds like a PaRtY!!!

Steph said...

Can I say JEALOUS!!! So bummed we don't live in that ward anymore how fun was that party! I like how you guys performed danced to songs! Love the outfits you guys are awesome!

Melissa said...

I will be laughing for a while about this one! What an great idea for a party. Hello legwarmers and sandals, you got it right on girly! And I'm just cracking up at JR's Miami Vice, I was still a bit young myself in the 80's but I do remember the cute guy in Miami Vice! Too funny! Neon pink and green were the best!!

Wilde Family said...

Okay, these were some of the best pictures I've ever seen-- I way miss Cambridge ward! How fun! I wish you had a video of your singing/dancing! Looks like fun!

Jenny said...

Fun! I'm jealous. Wish I lived closer because I would have invited myself!

I wish you would have recorded JR's little performance. I can only imagine what it was like!

Kristen said...

I actually DO have some video of JR's performance, but I always have a hard time posting anything longer than 30 seconds, and I don't have a program to edit the video that I have. It's pretty sweet, though! If any of you have any suggestions about how I can get it on here, just let me know. I guess I could always try to post it to google or something...

Holman Family said...

Hey nerdo- I am sorry that I haven't called you back about Christmas. I'd call you right now, but I have to regulate children and I left my cell phone in Cedar City. I am so jealous about what a fun new years eve you had. We should've hung out with you. We were in Cedar City. I am happy to see that you are doing great, us too.

Tiff said...

I love, love, love the '80s outfits! You guys look AWESOME!!! What a fun night!

Watts Family said...

Those are some super cute pictures. You guys look like you had a lot of fun.