Monday, October 27, 2008

Primary Program Sunday

For those of you who don't know, I'm the first counselor in my ward's primary presidency. I just got called a few months ago. My first main order of business: write the October primary program. Needless to say, I put it off as long as I could. I didn't know how to be in the primary presidency, let alone put together a compilation of things the children have learned throughout the year in a meaningful yet 'simple enough for the kids to memorize' way.

This month has been focused on practicing with the kids and fine tuning everything. I have to admit, I was more stressed and nervous that I expected. But deep down I knew that the kids would pull it off. And, of course, they did - and then some. It went so well and I was so proud of the kids. People kept telling me what a great job I did, but I know it wasn't me. I couldn't have done it without the kids! :) Almost all of the kids had their parts memorized and everything went smoothly. I have to say my favorite part, without being biased of course :), was Cali. She's a little sunbeam and the only one in her class that would have been willing to sing a solo. That's right, Cali stood up at the very beginning of our program and sang "I Am a Child of God" a capella. She sang the first few lines and then the rest of the primary sang along with her. It was really beautiful and Cali did a perfect job. I loved that the kids sang it without accompaniment. They really sounded great and it was a perfect start to our program. Cali had both sets of grandparents watching her, as well as many aunts and uncles. They couldn't have been prouder :). Cali also did really well with her speaking part. She had a whole scripture memorized, reference and all.

It was fun being involved with the primary program this year. I've gotten to know the kids in primary more, and hopefully they've gotten to know me. They really brought a special spirit to our sacrament meeting, and I felt privileged to be a small part of that. It was really fun working with Cali and JR too. JR is over the senior primary music, and he was a HUGE help with the kids. So, thanks JR! I couldn't have done it without you! I also have to thank the amazing women who are in the primary presidency with me. They're so much fun to work with and it made doing the primary program that much easier. Thank you thank you!

Thanks also to mom and dad Weeks and family, and mom and dad Peterson and family for coming and supporting me and my family. Cali loved it, and it really meant a lot to me :).

Here's pics of my kids yesterday, sporting their new outfits for the special day :).

Cali looked so big in her new outfit :). I was so proud of her!

Isaac looked so big and handsome in his new church outfit - tie and all!

10 comments:

Haylee said...

Cali was my favorite part too! Not only her singing in the begining but throughout the whole thing. She knew every song and belted them all out. She was so adorable and I am SO glad that I have her in my class. She always keeps us laughing and keeps the boys in line!

Steph said...

I love the primary program, its always such a fun sacrament meeting. I'm sure you did a wonderful job but i bet it was stressful to say the least! I love your kids cute new church outfits they look so cute all dressed up!

Nicole said...

THe program was so wonderful! Thank you!! You really did a great job. These programs are always my favorite sacrament meetings! Cali did so well, also! She has such a beautiful, sweet voice!

Melissa said...

I did 2 Primary programs when I was the 1st counselor. I know what a big job it is and I'm sure you did a great job. The kids will always make it amazing. Love the pics of your darling kids!

Jason and Joy said...

The program was so wonderful! We enjoyed it and thought the kids did so great! Cali sounded beautiful and I thought the way you guys started the program brought the spirit in so strongly! GREAT JOB!!!

Stefanie Bell said...

It was such a good program!! Even though Gentry is only 4 years old so he could not stand and sing! haha those kids are so funny! Cali was so adorable, she always is so good class and keeping everyone in line!

Jenny said...

Good job - we knew it would be great.

Your kids look adorable.

JR said...

You did a wonderful job Love. I couldn't be happier for you and the work you put into everything. I really believe that how much you care makes up for so much else. In your case, there's nothing to make up for. :)

I love you!

Ammon & Liz Ashby said...

The program turned out so great! I am glad that I was able to be apart of it! I love those sweet kids. Cali is just a doll and did such a great job on her parts! Thank you for all your hard work on the program!

Tiff said...

Oh man! I bet you were so proud of Cali! I think I would have been bawling!