Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Gingerbread House - A Tradition in the Making

I've always wanted to put together a gingerbread house, but haven 't gotten around to it until yesterday. I bought one of the kits for us to do for FHE. I don't know if I'll buy the kit next year, but at least it was good for the first time around. We just can't eat it because I don't think it would taste good :P. But the kit made it really quick and easy, so that was nice :). Cali had a blast helping and JR loved doing it too. He loves anything that you can put together, so this was right up his alley. It made for a great activity and I think we'll make it a tradition every year. I love Christmas traditions! Now that Cali is old enough to really enjoy them I'm trying to make more that we can do as a family every year.

Here's Cali and JR and our kit before we got started. It's nice because it comes with everything you need. It's just not very good if you want to eat it :P.

JR 'gluing' the house together with the icing - which was more like cornstarch with a tinsy bit of sugar thrown in.

JR let me put the roof on. He was really enjoying doing it himself :). "Just like Lego's" he said :). Maybe I should get him some Lego's for Christmas....Hmmmmmm.

Here's Isaac being very sad that he couldn't eat the candy. I think I prefer the crying over him chocking on the extra hard 'candy'.

Here's him after getting some goldfish crackers. Apparently he just wanted to eat. Who knew?!

Cali decorating the windows. I tried really hard not to tell her where to put stuff, but of course I still did. Next year I think we'll each make our own so that Cali can go crazy and do whatever she wants!!! Sorry Cali for cramping your creativity. I'm trying... :).

The finished product. And it only took about an hour!

Cali wondered today why we still had it out and hadn't thrown it away yet. I guess she figures if we can't eat it we should just throw it away. We'll see how long it lasts on our counter - especially if Isaac trys to eat it.

5 comments:

Erin and Chad said...

Looks yummy

Jason and Joy said...

I love it! Gingerbread houses are one of my favorite things about christmas time!

Sharla said...

Okay, that's the same kit we used. And yours looks SOOOO much better. So cute!

crystalcookie said...

oh my goodness that is really one of the BEST gingerbread houses I have seen decorated! You have beautiful children.....they must take after their beautiful mother!

Tiff said...

My sister-in-law was working on that exact same Gingerbread house with her little boy when we were over there the other day! Funny! What a fun tradition!